The Thread That Never Ends

OT:The Latest & Greatest & Everything Else.
o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Re: The Thread That Never Ends

Post by o-sterek » 07/29/14 17:25

Tired. Burning the candle at both ends again, as I often do! :lol Gonna hopefully get back to normal tomorrow. Sorry to never make it here these last couple of days.

I saw bunnie had visited but no posts. :cry

khalessi
I do believe in killing the messenger. Know why? It sends a message. —Damon

Post by khalessi » 07/30/14 04:43

She did but nothing to reply to I don't think. I can't wait for 3pm and home time. Been a really long week. I am on holiday next week from work. Can't wait. That's okay we will still be here for the next while anyway. I need to get through Roswell season two again :)

o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Post by o-sterek » 07/30/14 06:25

I spotted some posts later.

Having a break from watching cartoons and sitting in summerhouses? How the heck will you ever find something to do to occupy yourself! :lmao

Going anywhere or just taking a break?

I need to run a few errands now.

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 07/30/14 09:13

Well I will go to Thurso for a few days, go to the animal park that I haven't been to in ages. Cinema and maybe some svq.

I think the week will pass really quickly and has her key worker I will be lucky not to get any calls from work. I just need to not be here for a week. Break would do us both good

bunniefuu
Administrator

Post by bunniefuu » 07/30/14 10:25

Yeah, I'm here I'm here.. right. I try to just check to make sure this place still exists but then reality takes over and I can't stay. lmfao :rotf

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 07/30/14 10:49

Reality has a way of sneaking up on you like that. Nice to see you though :heart hope you are all well :)
Last edited by khalessi on 07/30/14 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Post by o-sterek » 07/30/14 13:00

Oh my! That is about as North as you can get on the mainland. Hope you have a nice time. Not sure what "svq" means.

I told ya the place was OK! :lol Quit the checking and pop in a post instead. Make better use of these valuable seconds! :lmao

Reality? What the heck is that? :drink

I need to run. BBS

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 07/30/14 13:31

Without falling off the end. I have family up that way but not going to see them :) Scottish Vocational Qualification. It is just nice to see a certificate through the door. Took me ages to get through the last one as people passed away and I was getting easily distracted

o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Post by o-sterek » 07/30/14 14:19

Well, I did know that but I could not fit it into the context! :lmao

I did wonder if your Mum would pop over but you answered that. :)

OK ... I have this burning question that will not leave me alone, no matter how much I keep pushing it away. Not prying in any way but I am curious about your accent. You've made comments about being in a range of places and just very generally (and I think you will know what I mean) is your accent more West or North?

I don't have much of an accent myself ... but bunnie loves it! :lol Interestingly, she does not have much of a Southern accent.

There, now stick that in your random facts thread. (Did I miss replying to it?)

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 07/30/14 16:28

My mum lives on the island of Bute. My gran lives up north. We had a disagreement over over my being married at that time she took my ex husband's side. So we don't speak. I have lived all over from wick to Glasgow, Inverness and for a time London. I don't really think I have much of an accent.

I moved around a bit I would loved to have stayed in Glasgow though. But I do feel at home here too.

o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Post by o-sterek » 07/30/14 19:06

khalessi wrote:So we don't speak
Congratulations! :drinkers

I really am not keen on Glasgow. One day I was there and a little lost. Glaswegians are always very helpful! I thought nothing of pulling over on this quietish road beside some waste ground (lots of that around Glasgow), to ask this guy, who was the only one in sight. I did not want to drive for miles, and then find it was in the wrong direction.

Sure, the guy was helpful enough. What I had been unable to see on my approach was that he was obviously not long out of hospital after having had his throat slit! OMG! Get me outta there fast! :lol Really difficult to be attentive and polite.

Sorry, the place is scary. I know it has its better parts but it seriously has a lot of bad parts.

In comparison, when I headed to Raigmore, the place was actually quite appealing. Lossiemouth is probably about the furthest North I have been though.

I don't like London. Never have and never will. I really am well and truly off cities these days. Once I discovered that the things I did not like were related to cities (using the true definition of a town with a cathedral), I just avoid them and all is well. Doesn't mean I am at all unhappy to visit them.

Now, do not try and tell me that you understand all these accents! :nono :shake :lol

It really is funny... I recall being at Loch Lomond and on this occasion it was an outdoor function. I happened to quietly comment to a friend that knew these people that I thought most seemed English. He looked at me in horror and said "please don't let them hear you say that!". They were actually locals, only of a more elite breed. Well, how the heck was I to know that and they were not imports! :dunno :lol

I've passed through or visited many towns around where I think you are. Can't really say anything bad about them ... at least that I can recall. I did like going into Inverness though but that could simply have been that it was a nice day. Elgin, Forres, Nairn. Findhorn has an excellent baker. Aberdeen is cold and windy; climate not unlike St Andrews, only more boring buildings.

I like old places. I like character. Hate shoeboxes! :lol

As I said in another topic though, ultimately, it is the people around that are more important to me than location.

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 07/31/14 02:09

I live in Inverness centre :) glad you like it. We do seem to get lots of tourists photographing the castle and the bridges over the city. I hated here when I was a teenager. But I moved away and my mum was here with my little brother. So I have lived in Inverness and Glasgow twice. I lived in the better areas of Glasgow when I was there mostly. I don't like the London accent much, Glasgow I love the accent. And Inverness it depends where you are.

Have you ever been to Prague? It's got lovely character.

I do believe that too. I don't make friends easily when I go from place to place I guess I am self sufficient most of the time :)

o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Post by o-sterek » 07/31/14 12:57

No but I know people who have and I have viewed hundreds of photos. There are a lot of common elements with the older parts of Scotland, I noticed.

Me? I am as self-sufficient as I can get! :lol OK, I do not grow my own fruit and veg but I would if I had more time. Females in general make new friends easier than males and yes I do fit that quite well! :lol However, I can generally tell if I like someone in anywhere between 30 seconds and 3 mins. Never been wrong yet! The trouble is that I can let my head override my instinct. Shyness could be a factor too.

Hey, you got me thinking now ... (bad idea that! :lol )

Inverness is a city, yes. Population is what? 40,000? 50,000? It isn't huge. I noticed no high-rises (that I recall) and I also recall quite flat. (Yeah, I could see the horizon quite well.) I recall other things too that appealed but remember, I only went in as far as Raigmore. I may have been on other occasions and do not recall. Some things become a blur. If memory serves me correctly, I did get out and about a bit too. I know it was not far and do not honestly recall if I was in a car or not. There was an openness, that I liked. There was green. Totally different than for example, Chicago. Break your neck trying to find the sky there! :lol

Glasgow is mixed. It's a bit dirty. Some nicer areas, yes. I have friends, colleagues and acquaintances there. Oh, I also have some family, I forgot about.

The fire of London was a big decider on both Glasgow and Chicago. Both made decisions based on this. Glasgow chose not to build higher than a fireman's ladder could reach and Chicago chose to build external fire escapes. Different directions and both work.

Now, many people may talk of Chicago or Glasgow drivers but it is only a game! Get into their way of thinking and all is well. Glasgow grinds to a standstill at rush hour but Chicago just flows a bit slower. I'd take Chicago over Glasgow.

The good/bad areas are reasonably easy to establish in Chicago too. There is a safe "strip" along Lake Michigan. No real requirement to go anywhere else, so all is well!

You said buses ran on bad weather days. In most of Scotland, they may try to run but cannot. This again suggests to me that Inverness is flat. It also says that it does not get several feet of snow, unlike other areas.

Certainly an area worth consideration, so thanks for mentioning all you have. :)

MarieFlutterby

Post by MarieFlutterby » 09/21/14 09:36

Good morning and what we talking about? :idea

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 09/23/14 09:02

Scotland. Have you ever been ? I love the glasweigan accent I think. We just got the no vote for independence which is bad as I voted yes and it will take ages for change. Buses here can be a nightmare for not turning up especially in rural areas.

MarieFlutterby

Post by MarieFlutterby » 09/25/14 13:16

No I haven't but, the peeps I've met in the web world from Scotland are awesome people and if I lived there I would voted yes as well.

bunniefuu
Administrator

Post by bunniefuu » 09/27/14 08:26

Interestingly, she does not have much of a Southern accent.
LOL!!! Why because I live in Georgia and should sound like a peach?! I think it's because I've lived all over the damn place from Texas to Florida to New York City to here. I just blend in.. :lol (but yes your accent ROCKS)

Khalessi-- awwww TYSM I've missed you too!!! :hug :flowers

And morning to Marie also!! :hi (I think I want to go rent a boat and sit in the middle of that lake in your picture today.)

o-sterek
Intoxicated
Intoxicated

Post by o-sterek » 09/27/14 10:20

bunniefuu wrote:Why because I live in Georgia and should sound like a peach?!
Not at all! Merely an observation, which you support with background detail. :grin

:whatever

MarieFlutterby

Post by MarieFlutterby » 09/27/14 12:17

bunniefuu wrote:

And morning to Marie also!! :hi (I think I want to go rent a boat and sit in the middle of that lake in your picture today.)
Don't let that pretty sky blue reflection fool you, there's signs everywhere warning people to not let themselves not their pets swim in the lake because it will make you sick from all the duck crap in there the lake is not properly filtering like it used to.
I have no idea how I did that quote action there but, it's kinda kewl! :dunno

khalessi

Post by khalessi » 09/28/14 04:43

That is an awesome picture. Shame about the ducks. Did you take that picture yourself?

I am at work on a Sunday. There should really be a law against it :)

Return to “Grand Central”